Blast hits Egyptian gas pipeline to Israel: Report
Cairo: A pipeline delivering gas from Egypt
to Israel targeted several times this year by saboteurs was hit by an explosion overnight, Egyptian security sources said
The blast happened in the region near the town of al-Arish in the north of the Sinai peninsula, said the source, who did not report any casualties.
Although the cause of this latest explosion has not yet been established, Israel`s supply of gas from Egypt has been regularly disrupted since Egypt`s former president Hosni Mubarak was toppled in February.
The pipeline, which carries gas through the Sinai and on
to Jordan and Israel, has been blown up at least four times in
recent months by unknown attackers.
Army experts have also located and defused a number of
other devices targeting the pipeline.
The latest blast comes against a background of rising
tension between Egypt and Israel. Earlier this month, Egyptian
troops had to intervene after a mob attacked the Israeli
embassy in Cairo.
On Friday, Israeli units deployed along the southern
border with Egypt were ordered on "high alert" for fear of a
"terrorist attack", an army spokeswoman said.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu`s office has in
recent weeks repeatedly warned Israelis to avoid travelling to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH