Blast hits key Ukraine gas pipeline
Kiev: A blast hit a major Ukrainian pipeline on Tuesday, but did not appear to affect the transport of Russian gas to European clients, Ukrainian officials said.
The incident occurred one day after Russia halted gas deliveries to Ukraine over unpaid debts, sending only the quantities purchased by European clients.
Moscow`s decision has enraged Ukraine`s new Western-backed leaders, and the country`s acting interior minister quickly blamed the explosion on Russian "sabotage".
"We are considering several versions of events, including the main one -- an act of terrorism," acting interior minister Arsen Avakov said in a statement.
"The pipeline`s sabotage... is an another attempt by Russia to discredit Ukraine as a partner in the gas sector."
The state emergencies service said the explosion appeared to have resulted from either a puncture or the loss of pressure in one of the pipeline`s seals.
Ukraine`s state gas transport company Ukrtransgaz said it had not affected the westward flow of Russian gas.
The 4,500-kilometre (2,800-mile) Urengoi-Pomary-Uzhgorod Pipeline, also known as the Trans-Siberian Pipeline, connects gas fields with western Ukraine with Russia`s western and central European clients.
The Russian section of the pipeline is operated by state energy giant Gazprom, and the Ukrainian segment by Ukrtransgaz.
There were no reports of any casualties from the blast in the northeastern region of Poltava, the local police department said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi