Blast hits key Ukraine gas pipeline
Kiev: A blast hit a major Ukrainian pipeline on Tuesday, but did not appear to affect the transport of Russian gas to European clients, Ukrainian officials said.
The incident occurred one day after Russia halted gas deliveries to Ukraine over unpaid debts, sending only the quantities purchased by European clients.
Moscow`s decision has enraged Ukraine`s new Western-backed leaders, and the country`s acting interior minister quickly blamed the explosion on Russian "sabotage".
"We are considering several versions of events, including the main one -- an act of terrorism," acting interior minister Arsen Avakov said in a statement.
"The pipeline`s sabotage... is an another attempt by Russia to discredit Ukraine as a partner in the gas sector."
The state emergencies service said the explosion appeared to have resulted from either a puncture or the loss of pressure in one of the pipeline`s seals.
Ukraine`s state gas transport company Ukrtransgaz said it had not affected the westward flow of Russian gas.
The 4,500-kilometre (2,800-mile) Urengoi-Pomary-Uzhgorod Pipeline, also known as the Trans-Siberian Pipeline, connects gas fields with western Ukraine with Russia`s western and central European clients.
The Russian section of the pipeline is operated by state energy giant Gazprom, and the Ukrainian segment by Ukrtransgaz.
There were no reports of any casualties from the blast in the northeastern region of Poltava, the local police department said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day