Blast kills at least 16 at Ukrainian coal mine
Kiev: An explosion at a Ukrainian coal mine killed at least 16 miners on Friday and nine were missing, the Emergencies Ministry said.
Three miners were also hurt in the explosion at the Sukhodilska-Eastern mine in the Luhansk region, the former Soviet republic`s coal mining heartland, it said in a statement.
"The cause of the blast is being determined," the ministry said. Interfax news agency quoted a regional mining official as saying the explosion was caused by a concentration of methane gas inside the mine, where 252 people were working at the time.
The explosion in the early hours of Friday morning was the deadliest since 2007, when a methane blast at a nearby mine killed more than 100 people.
Ukraine produced more than 75 million tonnes of energy and coking coal last year, but has been plagued by accidents caused by poor infrastructure and lax safety regulations.
The mine is owned by Krasnodon Coal, Ukraine`s second largest mining company which is part of Metinvest, a firm run by Ukraine`s richest man, Rinat Akhmetov. Akhmetov`s SCM owns 71.25 percent of Metinvest.
The mine, which has been in operation since 1980, accounts for a quarter of Krasnodon Coal`s output. In 2009, Krasnodon Coal`s total coking coal output was 5.4 million tonnes.
In 1992, 58 people were killed in a methane explosion at the same mine. A fire broke out at the mine last month but no one was hurt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH