Blast near UN hotel in Syria’s Damascus, 3 injured
Damascus: A bomb planted under a diesel tanker on Wednesday went off and wounded at least three people in this city near the Syrian Army headquarters and the Dama-Rose hotel, where the UN observers are residing, the state TV said.
The blast sent plumes of black smoke into the sky, the TV said. Medical staff were seen on the spot to rescue the injured.
It wasn`t immediately known who had managed to carry the bomb to the heavily fortified area, which has been ringed by blast walls and checkpoints.
No UN monitors were reportedly injured in the attack.
The monitors are on an observing mission in Syria, which has been suffering from bloody conflicts between the government and opposition forces, to seek a peaceful settlement between them.
Media reports said the explosive device ripped through the diesel container while it was parked at one of the Army headquarters` garages.
Sharif Shahadeh, a Syrian parliamentarian, when talking to al-Jazeera TV, claimed the armed opposition group had carried this "terrorist" attack.
Last week, a bomb tore through the state media establishment on the Ummayad square, which is also in the surroundings of the Army headquarters, and caused injuries.
Such blasts, despite their small scopes, are a show by the defiant armed opposition that it has a long reach and can foment anarchy anywhere.
On the ground militarily, the armed opposition has been taking pains to make footholds in Damascus and most recently in the northern Aleppo province.
The Syrian Army`s strong offensives have pushed the rebels to frequently resort to guerrilla tactics or bomb attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India