Blasts hit Nigeria’s Jos beset by sectarian unrest
Abuja: Two explosions were heard on Sunday night in the central Nigerian city of Jos, a flashpoint of sectarian and ethnic clashes, security officials and witnesses said, but details were unclear.
Witnesses, however, said the two blasts went off at a packed outdoor eatery in Jos city centre.
"Yes there were minor explosions, nothing serious," Emmanuel Ayeni, police chief for the region, said.
One person was reportedly wounded in the blast -- the latest to hit Nigeria, Africa`s most populous country, in recent months.
"One person was injured and taken to hospital," a resident of the area, Steve Aluko-Daniel, said by phone.
A spokesman for a special military task force deployed in the city Captain Charles Ekeocha also confirmed hearing of explosions, but gave no details.
"I was in my room, when I heard a blast that sounded like dynamite, the kind used in blasting rocks," said a resident in the neighbourhood, who only gave her name as Pauline.
She said before she could establish what had happened, "we heard another blast and we saw people running away from the area saying there were blasts. They said there were two explosives thrown from a moving vehicle."
Jos has been hit by waves of violence between Christian and Muslim groups that have left hundreds dead in recent years.
The area lies between the predominantly Christian south and mainly Muslim north of Africa`s most populous nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27