Blasts hit Nigeria’s Jos beset by sectarian unrest
Abuja: Two explosions were heard on Sunday night in the central Nigerian city of Jos, a flashpoint of sectarian and ethnic clashes, security officials and witnesses said, but details were unclear.
Witnesses, however, said the two blasts went off at a packed outdoor eatery in Jos city centre.
"Yes there were minor explosions, nothing serious," Emmanuel Ayeni, police chief for the region, said.
One person was reportedly wounded in the blast -- the latest to hit Nigeria, Africa`s most populous country, in recent months.
"One person was injured and taken to hospital," a resident of the area, Steve Aluko-Daniel, said by phone.
A spokesman for a special military task force deployed in the city Captain Charles Ekeocha also confirmed hearing of explosions, but gave no details.
"I was in my room, when I heard a blast that sounded like dynamite, the kind used in blasting rocks," said a resident in the neighbourhood, who only gave her name as Pauline.
She said before she could establish what had happened, "we heard another blast and we saw people running away from the area saying there were blasts. They said there were two explosives thrown from a moving vehicle."
Jos has been hit by waves of violence between Christian and Muslim groups that have left hundreds dead in recent years.
The area lies between the predominantly Christian south and mainly Muslim north of Africa`s most populous nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says