Blaze kills 12 pilgrims in Saudi holy city hotel
Riyadh: A fire killed 12 people and injured 130 others in a pilgrim hotel in the Saudi holy city of Medina on Saturday, the state-run SPA news agency reported.
Officials did not identify the victims but said around 700 pilgrims were staying at the hotel in Medina, in western Saudi Arabia, to perform the omra pilgrimage.
The fire broke out in the afternoon and was brought under control a few hours later, with survivors were transferred to other hotels in the city.
Authorities have launched an investigation into the cause of the blaze. Once a year Muslims perform the hajj pilgrimage to Mecca, Islam`s holiest city.
But year round, they can also undertake the omra, or lesser pilgrimage, in Saudi Arabia, also home to Islam`s second-holiest site, Medina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS