Blaze kills 12 pilgrims in Saudi holy city hotel
Riyadh: A fire killed 12 people and injured 130 others in a pilgrim hotel in the Saudi holy city of Medina on Saturday, the state-run SPA news agency reported.
Officials did not identify the victims but said around 700 pilgrims were staying at the hotel in Medina, in western Saudi Arabia, to perform the omra pilgrimage.
The fire broke out in the afternoon and was brought under control a few hours later, with survivors were transferred to other hotels in the city.
Authorities have launched an investigation into the cause of the blaze. Once a year Muslims perform the hajj pilgrimage to Mecca, Islam`s holiest city.
But year round, they can also undertake the omra, or lesser pilgrimage, in Saudi Arabia, also home to Islam`s second-holiest site, Medina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- Grand Alliance set to win Bihar election: Survey