Blaze kills 12 pilgrims in Saudi holy city hotel
Riyadh: A fire killed 12 people and injured 130 others in a pilgrim hotel in the Saudi holy city of Medina on Saturday, the state-run SPA news agency reported.
Officials did not identify the victims but said around 700 pilgrims were staying at the hotel in Medina, in western Saudi Arabia, to perform the omra pilgrimage.
The fire broke out in the afternoon and was brought under control a few hours later, with survivors were transferred to other hotels in the city.
Authorities have launched an investigation into the cause of the blaze. Once a year Muslims perform the hajj pilgrimage to Mecca, Islam`s holiest city.
But year round, they can also undertake the omra, or lesser pilgrimage, in Saudi Arabia, also home to Islam`s second-holiest site, Medina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WOW! This video of Andhra actor singing Allah, Allah fires up the internet – WATCH viral video
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani