Blind China activist Chen Guangcheng gets new US sinecure
Washington: Blind Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng has announced affiliations with three US institutions, which he says will allow him to keep speaking out on the "inhumane brutality" of the Chinese government.
Chen sparked a diplomatic crisis when he fled to the US Embassy in Beijing from house arrest. Since last May, he had been a special student at New York University.
Chen has said that NYU forced him to leave because of pressure from the Chinese government, which the university denied.
He will now be supported by the conservative Witherspoon Institute, the Catholic University of America and the Lantos Foundation, a human rights organisation.
Chen is a self-trained lawyer who exposed abuses in the enforcement of China`s one-child policies. He`s redoubled his criticism of Beijing since he arrived in the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight