Blind Chinese activist Chen is in US embassy: Hu
Beijing: In a case that could hurt China-US ties, Chinese human rights activist Hu Jia said on Monday that his friend and fellow dissident, Chen Guangcheng, is in the US embassy in Beijing.
Hu Jia, an outspoken government critic and friend of the Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng who escaped house arrest last weekend, was detained over the weekend for questioning in the matter.
Hu further said that he got a hint from Chinese security officials that Chen had also met with US Ambassador Gary Locke.
When asked by a news agency, Hu said the Chinese officials asked him “when Chen Guangcheng met with Ambassador Gary Locke...So it seems very clear that he has met with the American Ambassador. I had no way of answering. I do not know what is going on inside."
"But when I heard this I was very surprised and excited," the activist added.
Hu Jia, well-known for activism in support of human rights, people living with AIDS and the environment, was released in June 2011 after more than three months in prison for "attempted subversion of power”.
Chen, 40, has won worldwide acclaim for exposing forced sterilisations and late-term abortions under Chinese policy, and for using his legal knowledge to help commoners battle a range of other perceived injustices.
The self-taught lawyer escaped house arrest last Sunday in the eastern province of Shandong with the help of his supporters, and subsequently recorded a video alleging abuses against him and his family.
The United States has expressed concern about Chen, but refused any comment on his whereabouts, underscoring the huge sensitivity of the issue. A decision to grant him refuge could prove a major diplomatic irritant, with US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner due in Beijing on Thursday for annual talks on their often testy relationship.
The last Chinese dissident known to have been granted refuge at the US embassy was Fang Lizhi, a key figure in the pro-democracy movement who spent a year under US protection after publicly supporting the 1989 Tiananmen protests.
He was forced into exile in 1990 and died in the United States earlier this month.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’