Bloodiest day in Syria: 400 reported killed
Moscow: As many as 397 people were killed in Syria Saturday in what could be the country`s bloodiest day since the start of the uprising 21 months ago, the opposition Local Coordination Committees (LCC) claimed Sunday.
"By the end of Saturday the LCC managed to document 397 martyrs (including more than 20 children and 20 women)," the activist group reported on its website.
The figure includes 220 people who were "field executed in Deir Balbah" outside Homs city after the Syrian forces regained the area, the LCC said.
According to CNN, the activist group has learned about the Deir Balbah massacre from captured soldiers of the Syrian government troops.
The Syrian government did not comment on the alleged mass executions at Deir Balbah while the Syrian state TV showed images of dead bodies and seized weapons in the city`s tunnels it claimed were being used by "terrorists".
Western powers have insisted on President Bashar al-Assad`s departure before the formation of a new government of national unity while Russia insists the decision be left to the "Syrian people".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok