Bo Xilai expelled from China’s Parliament
Beijing: Disgraced Chinese leader Bo Xilai was on Friday expelled from Parliament ahead of a once-in-decade leadership transition, removing the final hurdle for his trial in a scandal that has thrown the ruling Communist Party into its biggest crisis in decades.
The Standing Committee of the National People`s Congress (NPC) announced the termination of Bo`s membership in the NPC, his last official position.
"According to the law on deputies to the NPC and to local people`s congresses, his post was terminated," state-run Xinhua news agency quoted a statement issue by the NPC Standing Committee which wrapped up a bimonthly session here.
The move strips Bo, 63, of immunity from prosecution.
Bo, believed to be a votary of Mao Zedong`s hard-line policies, was formerly secretary of the CPC Chongqing Municipal Committee and also a Politburo member.
The announcement comes ahead of the 18th Party Congress here from November 08 that will set out who will occupy the top positions in the Communist Party hierarchy, part of a once-in-decade leadership transition.
Bo was expelled from the Communist Party and the government last month, after being stripped of leadership positions in April.
He once was considered a top contender for the all-powerful Politburo Standing Committee, the team of nine politicians who effectively rule China, but the news report on his expulsion last month, painted a portrait of corruption, abuse of power and improper sexual relationships.
Bo`s dismissal was recommended by the local legislature of Chongqing city headed by him till recently.
Investigators determined that his behaviour tarnished the party`s reputation, Xinhua reported, and discovered "clues to his suspected involvement in other crimes”.
Bo is also accused of attempting to shield his wife Gu Kailai from investigation into her role in the murder of British businessman Neil Heywood last year. She has already been given suspended death sentence.
Bo is expected to be face trial before the November 08 key Party Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video