Bo Xilai expelled from China’s Parliament
Beijing: Disgraced Chinese leader Bo Xilai was on Friday expelled from Parliament ahead of a once-in-decade leadership transition, removing the final hurdle for his trial in a scandal that has thrown the ruling Communist Party into its biggest crisis in decades.
The Standing Committee of the National People`s Congress (NPC) announced the termination of Bo`s membership in the NPC, his last official position.
"According to the law on deputies to the NPC and to local people`s congresses, his post was terminated," state-run Xinhua news agency quoted a statement issue by the NPC Standing Committee which wrapped up a bimonthly session here.
The move strips Bo, 63, of immunity from prosecution.
Bo, believed to be a votary of Mao Zedong`s hard-line policies, was formerly secretary of the CPC Chongqing Municipal Committee and also a Politburo member.
The announcement comes ahead of the 18th Party Congress here from November 08 that will set out who will occupy the top positions in the Communist Party hierarchy, part of a once-in-decade leadership transition.
Bo was expelled from the Communist Party and the government last month, after being stripped of leadership positions in April.
He once was considered a top contender for the all-powerful Politburo Standing Committee, the team of nine politicians who effectively rule China, but the news report on his expulsion last month, painted a portrait of corruption, abuse of power and improper sexual relationships.
Bo`s dismissal was recommended by the local legislature of Chongqing city headed by him till recently.
Investigators determined that his behaviour tarnished the party`s reputation, Xinhua reported, and discovered "clues to his suspected involvement in other crimes”.
Bo is also accused of attempting to shield his wife Gu Kailai from investigation into her role in the murder of British businessman Neil Heywood last year. She has already been given suspended death sentence.
Bo is expected to be face trial before the November 08 key Party Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie