Bo Xilai to appeal against life imprisonment
London: Disgraced Chinese politician Bo Xilai is going to appeal against his sentence of life imprisonment over charges of bribery, embezzlement and abuse of power.
Bo informed the court on Monday of his request for an appeal following the verdict, the BBC reports.
Bo was sentenced to life imprisonment for bribery, 15 years for graft and seven years for abuse of power on Sunday.
His wife, Gu Kailai, was convicted of murdering British businessman Neil Heywood and his ex-police chief Wang Lijun was also jailed for 15 years for defection, power abuse and bribe-taking.
The former party chief of Chongqing was removed from office last year over corruption charges.
The ruling Communist Party said the life sentence given to Bo showed that no one was above the law.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended