Boat capsizes in Greece, 12 migrants dead
Athens: Twelve migrants were found dead on Friday and a further 15 were rescued after a boat capsized in western Greece, authorities said.
The Merchant Marine Ministry said the victims included four children. The accident occurred today, off the coast of Lefkada, an island in the Ionian Sea. The migrants were presumed to have been headed to nearby Italy from the western Greek mainland.
Ministry officials said the migrants were aboard a plastic boat that was 7-8 meters in length. The survivors were being taken to hospitals for observation.
Lefkada mayor Costas Aravanis said coast guard boats and divers had searched in the Palairos area, between Lefkada and the mainland, before the effort was eventually called off about four hours after the sinking was first reported.
"The boat sank after dawn in good weather conditions, with low prevailing winds, so it`s unclear how this happened ... It looks like the boat had been overloaded," Aravanis said.
"Some of the survivors managed to swim to the shore and call for help .... There have been cases in the past where smugglers tricked the immigrants and left them on Lefkada, claiming they had arrived in Italy."
It was unclear where the voyage began. Greece is the European Union`s busiest transit point for illegal immigration.
"The new tragedy off Lefkada, with victims including young children, confirms the need to immediately implement initiatives taken by the European Union, with Greece`s initiative too, to deal with the problem of illegal migration," said government spokesman Simos Kedikoglou.
"Particular emphasis must be placed on eradicating the networks set up by smugglers, who profiteer on the lives of desperate people. Greece has been dealing with waves of illegal migration for years but this is no longer just a Greek problem. The answer must be European."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'