Boat capsizes in Indonesia; 7 dead, 30 rescued
Kupang: Police say a boat loaded with people in a Good Friday procession has capsized in eastern Indonesia, and at least seven people have died.
Rescuers and fishermen saved 30 injured people and were looking for more survivors.
Local police spokesman Lt Col Okto Riwu says the fishing boat was designed to hold only 30 people but had more than 70 onboard. It sank shortly after a 2-meter (6.5-feet) wave crashed into it off Flores island.
The boat was participating in a parade at sea while taking the passengers to Larantuka town in East Nusatenggara province for Good Friday prayers and processions through the town.
Boats and ferries are popular transportation in the vast Indonesian archipelago, and accidents due to overcrowding and poor safety standards are common.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets