Boat capsizes in Iran, 17 dead
Tehran: Iran`s official news agency is reporting that 17 people have died after a storm capsized a passenger boat off of the country`s southern coast.
The Sunday report by IRNA says the boat sank on Saturday evening while sailing between Hormuz Island and port city of Bandar Abbas on the mainland. Rescue teams saved five passengers, the report said.
The report says the boat began its 11-mile (18-kilometer) journey despite a travel ban on light boats by shipping authorities, due to a storm with winds of 50 mph (80 kph).
Every day dozens of passenger boats travel between Bandar Abbas and nearby islands near the strategic Strait of Hormuz 1300 miles (2100 kilometres) south of the capital Tehran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof