Boat capsizes in Iran, 17 dead
Tehran: Iran`s official news agency is reporting that 17 people have died after a storm capsized a passenger boat off of the country`s southern coast.
The Sunday report by IRNA says the boat sank on Saturday evening while sailing between Hormuz Island and port city of Bandar Abbas on the mainland. Rescue teams saved five passengers, the report said.
The report says the boat began its 11-mile (18-kilometer) journey despite a travel ban on light boats by shipping authorities, due to a storm with winds of 50 mph (80 kph).
Every day dozens of passenger boats travel between Bandar Abbas and nearby islands near the strategic Strait of Hormuz 1300 miles (2100 kilometres) south of the capital Tehran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- Oil tanker operators again suspend supplies to Kashmir Valley
- OMG! Hilarious bomb scare prank – Must Watch
- South Africa vs New Zealand, 2nd Test: Steyn, Philander strike after du Plessis ton as Proteas take control on Day 2
- Rio Olympics medallist Sakshi Malik to tie the knot soon: Report
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM