Boat capsizes in Iran, 17 dead
Tehran: Iran`s official news agency is reporting that 17 people have died after a storm capsized a passenger boat off of the country`s southern coast.
The Sunday report by IRNA says the boat sank on Saturday evening while sailing between Hormuz Island and port city of Bandar Abbas on the mainland. Rescue teams saved five passengers, the report said.
The report says the boat began its 11-mile (18-kilometer) journey despite a travel ban on light boats by shipping authorities, due to a storm with winds of 50 mph (80 kph).
Every day dozens of passenger boats travel between Bandar Abbas and nearby islands near the strategic Strait of Hormuz 1300 miles (2100 kilometres) south of the capital Tehran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch