Boat sinks off Malaysia, 60 rescued
Kuala Lumpur: Police rescued 60 illegal immigrants whose overcrowded boat sank near Malaysia as they tried to return to Indonesia for a holiday marking the end of the Muslim holy month, an official said on Saturday.
The tugboat, designed to carry up to 20 people, began filling with water off central Selangor state before dawn yesterday, said the state`s marine police deputy chief, Nordin Osman.
"Only a few minutes more, and the boat would have capsized," Nordin said.
The Indonesians had each paid up to 800 ringgit (USD 230) to take the boat home for the Eid al-Fitr holiday this weekend at the end of the Ramadan fasting month, he said. Eight children including a 1-month-old baby numbered among the passengers.
The New Straits Times quoted Sisilah Kardiman, the 28-year-old mother of the baby, as saying the passengers used their hands to scoop out water as it seeped into the small boat.
"We panicked in the dark and did not know what to do. It started flooding and we used anything we could lay our hands on to drain out the water," she was quoted as saying.
Nordin said all the passengers were sent to detention centres. Immigrants who are caught in Malaysian waters without permission can face several months in prison before being deported. Police also detained three crew.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'