Boat sinks off Malaysia, 60 rescued
Kuala Lumpur: Police rescued 60 illegal immigrants whose overcrowded boat sank near Malaysia as they tried to return to Indonesia for a holiday marking the end of the Muslim holy month, an official said on Saturday.
The tugboat, designed to carry up to 20 people, began filling with water off central Selangor state before dawn yesterday, said the state`s marine police deputy chief, Nordin Osman.
"Only a few minutes more, and the boat would have capsized," Nordin said.
The Indonesians had each paid up to 800 ringgit (USD 230) to take the boat home for the Eid al-Fitr holiday this weekend at the end of the Ramadan fasting month, he said. Eight children including a 1-month-old baby numbered among the passengers.
The New Straits Times quoted Sisilah Kardiman, the 28-year-old mother of the baby, as saying the passengers used their hands to scoop out water as it seeped into the small boat.
"We panicked in the dark and did not know what to do. It started flooding and we used anything we could lay our hands on to drain out the water," she was quoted as saying.
Nordin said all the passengers were sent to detention centres. Immigrants who are caught in Malaysian waters without permission can face several months in prison before being deported. Police also detained three crew.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you