Boat with 300 migrants `aground` near Italian port
Rome: A boat carrying 300 migrants ran aground as it neared an Italian port on Sunday, forcing many of those on board including women and children to jump into the sea, Italian news agency ANSA reported.
Coast guards launched a rescue operation and have already plucked dozens of people from the water after the boat hit rocks on the approach to the island of Lampedusa in southern Italy, the report said, citing officials.
The boat had apparently been headed for Malta but was escorted by Maltese coast guards towards Lampedusa, the officials were quoted as saying.
Also on Sunday another boat carrying 800 people arrived in Lampedusa.
The island has seen thousands of arrivals in recent days of people fleeing Libya. Most of them are migrant workers from sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan