Bobby Jindal begins 2nd term as Louisiana Governor
Houston: Bobby Jindal, the first Indian- American governor in the US and a possible contender for the White House in future, began his second term as the chief of Louisiana following a landslide victory.
The 40-year-old Republican easily coasted to a second term on Saturday, winning a landslide election against nine competitors in the open primary.
Jindal, son of Indian immigrant parents from from Punjab, took the oath of office before hundreds of people as he pledged not to rest on the accomplishments of his first four years.
"I Bobby Jindal do solemnly swear that I will support the constitution and laws of the United States and the constitution and laws of this state," Jindal said as State Supreme Court Justice Catherine "Kitty" Kimball administered
the oath yesterday.
He overwhelmed nine competitors in the open primary, where a candidate wins the race outright if he or she receives more than 50 per cent of the vote. With four-fifths of precincts reporting, Jindal had received about two-thirds of
the total vote.
His closest competitor, Tara Hollis, a Democrat from north Louisiana, garnered about one-fifth of the total vote.
All of the other candidates were in single digits.
"I love to boast about the progress the people of Louisiana have made over these past four years, but I won`t and here is why. All of that was yesterday, we cannot stand, we must not rest on our laurels," said Jindal.
Jindal told a packed hotel ballroom of supporters in Baton Rouge that he will "use every day, every hour of these next four years to make Louisiana the very best that we can be."
"I don`t believe in resting on our past accomplishments.I don`t believe in taking time off," Jindal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city