Bobby Jindal, Nikki Haley lead Republican charge against Obama
Washington: With no deal in sight on mandated across-the-board forced spending cuts, President Barack Obama painted a grim picture only to be accused by Republicans, led by two Indian-American governors, of scaremongering.
"While you are in town, I hope that you speak with your congressional delegation and remind them in no uncertain terms exactly what is at stake and exactly who is at risk," Obama Monday told state governors gathered in Washington.
"Because here`s the thing. These cuts do not have to happen. Congress can turn them off any time with just a little bit of compromise."
The President`s plea to the National Governors Association at the White House was part of his latest push to pressure Congress to avoid what is called `sequestration` - $85 billion in spending cuts this year and $1.2 trillion through fiscal 2021 - that kicks in Friday.
Part of a 2011 deal to increase America`s debt limit, the cuts, half in defence and half in non-defence programmes, were deliberately designed to be painful to make the Congress act on the nation`s mounting deficit.
Leading the critics charge that the White House is exaggerating the potential impact of the budget slashing, Louisiana`s Indian-American Governor Bobby Jindal told reporters: "Enough`s enough."
"The president needs to stop campaigning, stop trying to scare the American people, stop trying to scare states," said Jindal, a potential 2016 presidential candidate.
Asking the president to "show leadership," he said if the cuts were "truly devastating," then the administration should cut future programmes, such as Obama`s signature healthcare measures, rather than chisel away at existing programmes.
In the same vein, South Carolina`s Indian-American governor Nikki Haley dubbed Washington as "psychotic" as she criticised federal lawmakers for letting partisan bickering get in the way of balancing the budget.
"I could not be more frustrated than I am right now. How many more times are the governors going to have to pick up the mess of Washington, D.C.?"
"How many more times are we going to have to deal with these issues over and over again because of the finger pointing and the blame game that keeps on happening in Washington?" she asked.
In an obvious swipe against a week long holiday taken by the Congress in the midst of the looming crisis, and Obama`s Presidents Day golf weekend in Florida, Haley said: "No one should be going home. No one should be playing golf. No one should be taking vacations."
"What they need to do is do what these governors do everyday," she continued. "We stay until we get it done."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt