Body of Punjabi driver brought from Saudi Arabia
Patiala: The body of a Punjabi driver, who died in a road accident in Saudi Arabia around three months ago, has been brought to his native village Gurusar Kaunke near Jagroan in Ludhaina district, family members said on Monday.
Devinder Singh (42), who was working with a Dubai-based transport company, died when his trailer met an accident around three months ago and the body was lying in a mortuary there since then.
The body has been brought back after obtaining various clearances from the Saudi government as well as Indian immigration, with help from SPS Oberoi, a philanthropist, they said.
The body was brought in a Malaysian Airlines flight from Saudi Arabia and it reached the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi in the wee hours today, family members said, adding cremation took place at his native village.
Oberoi said as many six bodies of Indians have been lying in different mortuaries of Saudi Arabia and urged the External Affairs Ministry to help bring the bodies back.
Meanwhile, Union Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur, when contacted, said the Indian government is committed to help families of those killed in Saudi Arabia.
She said Indian consulate in Dubai and Indian Embassy of Saudi Arabia has extended help to bring back the body of driver Devinder Singh. She assured such cases would be taken up on priority as far as Indian embassy and Indian consulate are concern.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27