Boeing suspends Dreamliner flights after on-board fire
San Francisco: Boeing suspended test flights of its 787 Dreamliner planes on Wednesday after an electrical fire forced the emergency landing of one of the next-generation passenger jets.
The incident has fanned fears of further delays to the Dreamliner programme, which is already almost three years behind schedule with the first planes due for delivery to Japan`s All Nippon Airways in early 2011.
The latest Dreamliner glitch erupted when a test plane was coming in to land at Laredo, Texas. It lost its regular source of electrical power and the primary backup in the blaze, the Seattle Times reported.
The pilot deployed a ram air turbine, which generates power for the plane`s fly-by-wire electronic controls using the aircraft`s wind speed.
As he executed the emergency landing, the pilot activated the plane`s emergency slides and the 30 to 40 people aboard all evacuated safely.
"If this had happened at 25,000 feet, we might be talking about something much more serious," a person close to the situation told the paper.
Boeing released a statement early Wednesday that said one minor injury occurred during the evacuation. That crew member was treated and released from a medical facility.
Boeing has sold more than 900 Dreamliners making it the most successful aircraft launch in history. The fuel efficient plane made its maiden flight in December 2009. There are currently six planes in the test fleet.
Boeing engineers are expected to run ground tests to isolate the source of the problem before the planes take to the air again.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know