Boko Haram claims masaccre of 135 in Nigeria
Abuja: Radical Islamist sect Boko Haram on Tuesday claimed responsibility for the weekend massacre of 135 people, including two lawmwkers, in north central Nigeria, in what was initially thought to be internecine clashes between tribes.
Abu Qaqa, the sect`s spokesperson, issued a terse statement saying the sect attacked over 90 villages and that it will not relent in its attacks on Christians in the northern parts of Nigeria.
"We praise God in this war for Prophet Mohammed, we thank Allah for the successful attack in...Plateau state on Christians and security men," the group said, threatening to hunt for government officials "wherever they are".
"Christians in Nigeria should accept Islam, that is true religion, or they will never have peace. We do not regard them as trusted Christians as some illiterates are campaigning because it was Christians that first declared war on Muslims with the support of government," Qaqa said.
The attack which happened on Sunday was blamed on Fulani herdsmen who have been engaging in land dispute with ethnic Berom people in the state that has seen many crises in recent times.
Narration by survivors of the attack which targeted mourners who went to bury 63 persons killed earlier cast doubt on the possibility of Fulani people being able to carry out such a sophisticated attack.
On the day of the attack, 50 bodies were discovered in the house of a pastor in a neighbouring village while the eyewitnesses said 22 people including the lawmakers were killed at the funeral.
This brings the number of persons killed to 135 over the weekend.
Senator Gyang Dantong, and Gyang Fulani, a representative of the constituency in the state House of Assembly were the two lawmakers who were killed.
Boko Haram have carried out bombings, shootings and suicide attacks that have seen hundreds of people killed recently since 2009 when they started their uprising.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming