Boko Haram Islamists kill 19 in Nigeria`s northeast: Residents
Lagos: Boko Haram gunmen dressed in military uniform on Sunday killed 19 people near the Nigerian border with Cameroon in the restive northeast where the Islamists have carried out deadly attacks, residents and a survivor said.
The motorcycle-riding gunmen armed with Kalashnikovs blocked the highway near the town of Logumani, 30 kilometres (19 miles) from the border around 5:00 am, shooting and hacking to death 19 motorists and burning three trucks, they said.
"We have recovered 19 dead bodies from the scene of the attack by Boko Haram gunmen," Musa Abur, leader of a civilian vigilante group in the area told.
"Five of the victims, who included two truck drivers and their assistants, were shot dead while the rest were slaughtered," he said.
He said the gunmen had attacked the border town of Gamboru Ngala near Logumani late Friday but were repelled by soldiers and local vigilantes.
A passenger who survived the attack gave a similar account.
"We were asked to get out of our vehicles and lie face down by nine men dressed as soldiers who blocked the road around 5:00am," the man who gave his name as Buba told.
"They shot dead five people and went about slaughtering 14 others before someone called them on the phone that soldiers were heading their way," he said.
"They abandoned the rest of us and sped into the bush on their motorcycles," added Buba who was shot in the leg.
The military authorities in the region could not be immediately reached to comment on the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read