Maiduguri: The governor of Borno in northeast Nigeria says Islamic extremist group Boko Haram has killed 68 villagers in a remote area of his state.
Kashim Shettima yesterday confirmed the attack without providing more details, during a meeting with the parents of the 219 girls abducted from a school in the region by the extremists last year. Thursday marked 500 days of captivity of the girls from a school in Chibok.
Fleeing residents of Baanu village say they were attacked by the Boko Haram on Friday night.
"We returned back to the village in the morning after spending the night in the bush, we saw corpses in the streets of the village," said farmer Mustapha Alibe. Boko Haram's six-year-old uprising has killed nearly 20,000 people.