Boko Haram rejects Nigerian PM’s call for dialogue
Abuja: Threatening a fresh bout of violence,
Nigeria`s dreaded militant group Boko Haram has rejected
President Goodluck Jonathan`s call for a dialogue, days after
it carried out a bloody attack in Kano, killing 185 people.
Boko Haram has threatened to attack northern city of
Sokoto even as Jonathan demanded that they put forward their
requests for possible dialogue.
Boko Haram`s spokesman, Abu Qaqa said the President`s
call was "insincere" and rather said his men would attack the
city known as the bastion of Islam in the country with a
sultanate who has encompassing authority over other Muslims.
In a message broadcast to journalists in the sect`s
enclave of Maiduguri through a conference call, the sect said
the dialogue is not possible under the situation at hand.
He said the attacks planned for Sokoto would be similar
one carried out on January 20 in Kano where more than 85
people were killed.
The sect leader, Abubakar Shekau had claimed he ordered
the attacks in Kano because members were detained and tortured
by Nigerian security agencies and Qaqa said similar situation
in Sokoto would lead to the attacks.
On Saturday, Nigerian troops claimed they have killed 11
fighters for the Islamic group during a shootout in Maiduguri.
The military spokesman for a task force sent to the
region, Lieutenant Colonel Hassan Mohammed said his force
known as Joint Task Force (JTF) did not suffer any casualties
during their taid.
Bombs numbering up to twenty killed not less than 85
injuring many others in Kano metropolis recently.
Boko Haram sect has been waging a bloody conflict to
install an Islamic government and Sharia rule in the country.
The 150-million Nigeria has both Muslim and Christian
population, with Muslims predominant in the north while
Christians mostly live in the South.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Structural reforms needed to put India on faster growth path
- Total prohibition decision dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi: Nitish
- Centre buys 2,300 tonnes of onion so far to build buffer
- Revealed! Sanjay Dutt opens up about his comeback plans
- Goa Board 12th HSSC Result 2016: Goaresults.nic.in & Gbshse.gov.in GBSHSE Class 12th HSSC Result 2016 is likely to be declared on May 10, 2016