Boko Haram stages major urban attack on Nigerian Army

Last Updated: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 - 10:16

Maiduguri (Nigeria): Boko Haram militants launched a daring raid on the military in the northeast Nigerian city of Maiduguri overnight, prompting a round-the-clock curfew that shut airspace and cut off roads, the Army, state government and eyewitnesses said.

Local residents said hundreds of heavily armed Islamist gunmen besieged an Air Force and Army base, destroying aircraft, razing buildings and setting shops and petrol stations ablaze in a deadly rampage.

The attack, which left 24 militants dead and wounded two service personnel, according to the military, comes after claims the banned group had been successfully pushed out of urban centres into more remote, rural areas of Borno state.

Boko Haram has previously launched massive, coordinated attacks on the security services in Borno but the reported scale of the latest strike could make it one of the biggest against the military in Maiduguri in many months.

In 2009, militants battled the security forces in the city for several days, leaving more than 800 dead.

"I saw two air force helicopters burnt while in the whole of the 79 Composite Group (of the Nigerian Air Force) few buildings are still standing. Most of the structures have been attacked and destroyed," said one man, who lives nearby, of today`s attacks.

"At the 33 Artillery (battalion of the Nigerian Army), the terrorists have destroyed the barracks and took away an armoured (personnel) carrier but left it along the highway.

"We heard women and children in the barracks crying and wailing. At the gate, I saw some vehicles destroyed and the checkpoint there in shreds," said the man, a local government official, who asked to remain anonymous.

"Three decommissioned military aircrafts as well as two helicopters were incapacitated in the course of the attack," Brigadier-General Chris Olukolade, director of defence information, said in an emailed statement.

"Two Air Force personnel were also wounded while 24 insurgents died during the exchange of fire."

But one man in Maiduguri told Borno`s Governor Kashim Shettima, who toured the affected area, that two of his children were killed. One owned a pharmacy while the other was involved in a civilian vigilante group, the man said.

The local government official said more civilians could have lost their lives.

"Frankly speaking, if the insurgents had wanted, they could have killed all of us... Because they came in large numbers... Some with explosives, some with rocket-propelled grenades and some with AK-47 rifles," he said.

The Nigerian Army`s spokesman in Maiduguri, Colonel Muhammed Dole, said the Boko Haram fighters had been "successfully repelled" and had suffered "serious casualties", without specifying numbers.

AFP

First Published: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 - 10:16

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus