Bolivia president expels US govt aid agency
La Paz: President Evo Morales said today he is expelling the US Agency for International Development from Bolivia for allegedly seeking to undermine his leftist government.
Morales did not specify what USAID had done that merited expulsion.
In the recent past, he has accused it of funding groups that have opposed his policies, specifically a lowlands indigenous federation that organized protests against a highway through a rainforest preserve.
In 2008, Morales expelled the US ambassador and agents of the US Drug Enforcement Administration for allegedly inciting the opposition.
Morales made the announcement to a crowd outside the presidential palace during an International Workers` Day rally, an occasion he has used since first taking office in 2006 for major announcements, including of nationalizations of industries.
He said he was protesting a recent statement by US Secretary of State John Kerry that Latin America is the backyard of the United States. It was not immediately clear what statement by Kerry he was referencing.
"The United States does not lack institutions that continue to conspire, and that`s why I am using this gathering to announce that we have decided to expel USAID from Bolivia," Morales told the crowd, turning to his foreign minister, David Choquehuanca and ordering him to inform the US Embassy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof