Bolivia recalls ambassadors from Spain, Italy, France
La Paz: The Bolivian government has "temporarily" recalled its ambassadors to Spain, France and Italy to protest those countries` refusal earlier this month to allow Bolivian President Evo Morales` plane to enter their airspace, a top official said.
"Recalling the ambassadors is a decision that was taken within the framework of the summit of the Southern Common Market (Mercosur), the bloc that decided to call all its ambassadors to those nations, to protest what happened to President Morales," Bolivian Communications Minister Amanda Davila told reporters Friday.
Mercosur nations, including Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela and Uruguay, gathered after Morales` plane was denied access to those countries` airspace July 2 to condemn the European nations for violating international laws on presidential immunity, reported Xinhua.
The minister however said the move did not mean Bolivia was breaking off diplomatic relations with the European countries.
President Morales met Friday with Ambassadors Jean Pol Guevara to France, Carmen Almendras to Spain, and Antolin Ayaviri to Italy.
Morales plane was denied access to those countries on rumors that the plane was carrying US intelligence whistleblower Edward Snowden. It made an emergency landing in Vienna, Austria.
All the European nations have offered apologies, though none have officially explained their actions, as Bolivia has demanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door