Bolivia renounces 1961 UN narcotics convention
La Paz: Bolivia`s government has informed the United Nations it is renouncing the world body`s anti-drug convention because it classifies coca leaf as an illegal drug, the Foreign Ministry said on Thursday.
Bolivia`s decision comes after a proposal by President Evo Morales to remove language obliging countries that have signed the convention to ban the chewing of coca leaves was rejected following US objections.
Bolivian officials contend that coca leaf in its natural form is not a narcotic and forms an age-old part of Andean culture. Morales is a former coca growers` union leader who has campaigned for the leaf`s traditional uses.
Coca is a mild stimulant with high religious and social value in the Andean region. While it fights hunger and alleviates altitude sickness, it is also the raw material of cocaine.
The Foreign Ministry confirmed that its decision was presented to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in New York.
The Andean nation plans to rejoin the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, but noting its objection to the penalisation of coca chewing.
On January 01, 2012, UN member states will analyse Bolivia`s position and decide if the body the objection to the convention`s stance on coca chewing.
US officials have said they are concerned that Bolivia`s proposal would weaken the integrity of the UN convention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?