Bolivia signs coca control accord with Brazil, US
La Paz: Bolivia has joined Brazil and the United States in signing an accord to cooperate in the control of coca plant cultivation.
Coca is used for traditional medicinal purposes in the Andean region but is also the raw material of cocaine.
Friday`s signing had been delayed five times while Bolivia sought changes in the document`s wording.
The agreement follows the restoration of Bolivia-US ties in November. Bolivian President Evo Morales expelled the US ambassador and DEA in 2008 for allegedly inciting the opposition.
The agreement creates a coca cultivation tracking system, with the US providing GPS equipment and Brazil capturing satellite images. The UN Office on Drugs and Crime is also participating in the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested