Bomb attack in Cairo wounds 2 police, civilian: Report
Cairo: Two Egyptian policemen and a civilian were wounded in a bomb attack targeting a security checkpoint in central Cairo Tuesday, officials and a medic said.
The device, which was placed between two cars near the checkpoint at Al-Galaa Square in Dokki neighbourhood, exploded at about 7:15 am local time, a security official said.
Previously, security officials said that assailants threw a homemade bomb at the checkpoint.
Egypt has been rocked by a series of bombings and shootings carried out by militants since the military ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July.
The military-installed authorities say militants have killed about 500 people since the overthrow of Morsi.
Most militant attacks have been in the restive Sinai Peninsula, but in recent months brazen attacks have also been launched farther afield in the Nile Delta and in the capital Cairo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH