Bomb attack in Cairo wounds 2 police, civilian: Report
Cairo: Two Egyptian policemen and a civilian were wounded in a bomb attack targeting a security checkpoint in central Cairo Tuesday, officials and a medic said.
The device, which was placed between two cars near the checkpoint at Al-Galaa Square in Dokki neighbourhood, exploded at about 7:15 am local time, a security official said.
Previously, security officials said that assailants threw a homemade bomb at the checkpoint.
Egypt has been rocked by a series of bombings and shootings carried out by militants since the military ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July.
The military-installed authorities say militants have killed about 500 people since the overthrow of Morsi.
Most militant attacks have been in the restive Sinai Peninsula, but in recent months brazen attacks have also been launched farther afield in the Nile Delta and in the capital Cairo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam