Bomb attack on police bus wounds 16 in Istanbul
Istanbul: A roadside bomb in central
Istanbul wounded 16 people, almost all of them police
officers, on Thursday, in an attack near Turkey`s ruling party
headquarters, officials said.
The remote-controlled explosive was fitted to a stationary
motorcycle and went off in the morning as a police bus
carrying 21 officers passed by, authorities said.
The blast hit close to the offices of the ruling Justice
and Development Party (AKP) of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip
Erdogan, who condemned the attack as an "act of terror".
"The villains that carried out this attack will never
reach their ambitions," he said in televised remarks, without
naming any suspects.
Several outlawed armed groups -- Kurdish, Islamist and
Leftist extremist -- have carried out bomb attacks in Istanbul
in the past.
Erdogan said 15 of those wounded were police officers.
Istanbul police chief Huseyin Capkin said the blast came
from a "remote-controlled bomb that went off as a duty vehicle
with 21 policemen on board drove by," the Anatolia news agency
The device was made of plastic explosives, Istanbul
governor Huseyin Avni Mutlu was quoted as saying by the
"The bomb was planted on a motorcycle waiting by the
roadside, and went off around 0700 GMT (1230 IST) as the
police vehicle passed," Mutlu said.
Witnesses in nearby vehicles spoke of a strong blast that
shook their cars and spread panic among morning commuters.
The wounded were admitted to hospital but none of their
injuries were critical, Capkin added.
Police blocked access to the blast zone, fearing a second
Last September a powerful bomb rocked the centre of the
capital Ankara, killing three people and wounding at least 15.
And a bomb blast in May last year injured eight people
near a bus stop in Etiler, an upscale district in Istanbul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users