Bomb attack wounds 9 in southern Thailand
Bangkok: Police say a remote-controlled bomb has exploded in violence-plagued southern Thailand, wounding nine people, including three monks.
Police Lt Fahamee Hengpiya says the monks were collecting alms when a bomb hidden in a planter on the sidewalk went off on Monday morning.
The wounded include three police who were escorting the monks and three elderly men who were nearby.
Narathiwat, Yala, Pattani and parts of Songkla provinces are the only Muslim-majority areas in predominantly Buddhist Thailand. Nearly 5,000 people have been killed since an Islamist insurgency erupted in the region in 2004.
Buddhist monks have frequently been targeted, prompting authorities to assign police escorts for the monks as they collect alms in the mornings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015