Bomb blast outside Pakistani leader`s Athens home: Police
Athens: A bomb exploded early Friday outside the home of a Pakistani community leader in Athens without injuring anyone, Greek police said.
Anonymous warnings made by telephone to a Greek television station and a newspaper 15 minutes before the explosion enabled police to seal off the area.
Media reports said the bomb had targeted the home of the chairman of the Greek-Pakistan friendship association. A bomb squad was examining the remains of the device for clues.
The Pakistani community in Greece numbers several thousand members, most of whom live in the greater Athens area.
Muslim migrants in Greece have faced increasing hostility from far-right militants in recent years, and the Pakistani community has frequently denounced attacks on its members by Greek youths.
Yesterday’s bombing occurred in the central Athens district of Agios Panteleimonas which has a strong immigrant presence and where protests both in favour and against foreigners have been held in recent months.
Last month, a gang of mostly teenagers set fire to a house in Sparta, southern Greece as a group of Bangladeshi migrants slept inside.
In May, five Bangladeshi migrants were injured after unknown assailants tried to burn down a makeshift mosque in Athens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam