Bomb blast outside Pakistani leader`s Athens home: Police
Athens: A bomb exploded early Friday outside the home of a Pakistani community leader in Athens without injuring anyone, Greek police said.
Anonymous warnings made by telephone to a Greek television station and a newspaper 15 minutes before the explosion enabled police to seal off the area.
Media reports said the bomb had targeted the home of the chairman of the Greek-Pakistan friendship association. A bomb squad was examining the remains of the device for clues.
The Pakistani community in Greece numbers several thousand members, most of whom live in the greater Athens area.
Muslim migrants in Greece have faced increasing hostility from far-right militants in recent years, and the Pakistani community has frequently denounced attacks on its members by Greek youths.
Yesterday’s bombing occurred in the central Athens district of Agios Panteleimonas which has a strong immigrant presence and where protests both in favour and against foreigners have been held in recent months.
Last month, a gang of mostly teenagers set fire to a house in Sparta, southern Greece as a group of Bangladeshi migrants slept inside.
In May, five Bangladeshi migrants were injured after unknown assailants tried to burn down a makeshift mosque in Athens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest