Bomb detonated in empty church in Egypt: Officials
El-Arish: Assailants detonated a bomb on Saturday in an empty church in a small town in northern Egypt, causing little damage and no injuries, security officials said.
Smoke billowed from the windows of the church and the assailants also snatched a cross from outside the building, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the incident with reporters. They said the assailants escaped. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
The attack in the town of Rafah, on the border with the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip, comes amid unprecedented political unrest sweeping Egypt. For nearly two weeks, protesters have staged mass rallies to demand the ouster of longtime Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.
Rafah is located in the Sinai Peninsula, where Bedouin tribesmen have clashed with security forces during the popular revolt.
Earlier on Saturday, an explosion went off in a gas terminal in the Sinai town of El-Arish, causing a massive fire but no injuries. Energy officials blamed a gas leak, while security officials said an explosive device was detonated in the terminal. As a result of the fire, the flow of gas to Jordan and Israel was stopped.
Even before the uprising, there had been growing tensions between Egypt`s Muslims and large Christian minority. On New Year`s Day, a suicide bombing outside a Coptic church in the port city of Alexandria killed 21 people, setting off days of protests.
Barely a week later, an off-duty policeman boarded a train and shot dead a 71-year-old Christian man and wounding his wife and four others.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan