Bomb explodes at Greece’s shopping mall, 2 wounded
Athens: A bomb exploded at a shopping mall in Athens on Sunday, slightly wounding two security guards, police said.
"Two warning phone calls were made to local media about 50 minutes before the blast, and authorities evacuated about 200 people from the mall, located in the Maroussi suburb north of the city centre," a police official told a news agency.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media.
"Shops are closed at the mall on Sundays, but cafeteria, restaurants and movie theatres in the complex, two levels above where the bomb exploded, are open."
"The device exploded about 20 minutes before some movies were scheduled to start showing, mainly children`s films. The device was a small bomb that is believed to have been planted in a trash bin. The blast caused minor damage to stores," the official said.
The two wounded security guards were transported to a nearby hospital and were released an hour later, local TV stations reported.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility. Small armed groups have been active in Greece for decades, usually planting small explosive devices late at night at bank ATM machines, car dealerships or foreign company offices.
Attacks in public places during the daytime have been rare. Police were examining whether the attack might have been carried out by the same group that carried out a shooting attack against the offices of the governing conservative party on January 14.
Shots were fired at the building from an assault rifle, causing no injuries. No group has claimed responsibility for that attack.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview