"Bomb extortionist" sentenced to seven years jail term
Beijing: A man who tried to extort USD
45,630 from a French retail giant Carrefour in a south-west
Chinese town with a bomb threat has been sentenced to seven
years in prison.
Yue Jinwei, 31, was convicted of placing explosives in
one Carrefour store and demanding 300,000 yuan (USD 45,630) on
June 19 last year, state run Xinhua news agency reported.
He was arrested the same day.
Yue in his extortion demand said that he had placed
explosive devices in three of the chain`s stores in Kunming,
which led to the emergency evacuations of customers and staff.
The sentence was handed at the Panlong District Court
in Kunming, capital of Yunnan Province.
Realising the gravity of the situation, Yue called
Carrefour later in the day to abort the extortion bid.
Although the extortion was abandoned, Yue`s behavior
had a huge social impact and caused much disruption, and he
deserved imprisonment, the court ruled.
A spokesman for the law office said the sentence was
"a little heavier than expected" and they would talk with Yue
about an appeal to a higher court.
The same outlet suffered another bomb hoax on January
8, when a man claimed he placed bombs there and asked for
No explosives were found in the outlet and police
arrested the suspect later that day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Saudi Airlines flight halted for 3 days in Ahmedabad!
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Irregularities in petition to oust Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro
- Alcohol kills an Indian every 96 minutes
- KSEEB 2nd (II) PUC Results 2016 Karnataka Board: Kseeb.kar.nic.in & karresults.nic.in for Class 12th XII, Second PUC Exam Results 2016 Karnataka Board, KSEEB to be declared shortly
- Devastated Ben Stokes undergoes surgery; Reece Topley ruled out for three months
- Honda City Vs Honda BR-V: A comparative review