"Bomb extortionist" sentenced to seven years jail term
Beijing: A man who tried to extort USD
45,630 from a French retail giant Carrefour in a south-west
Chinese town with a bomb threat has been sentenced to seven
years in prison.
Yue Jinwei, 31, was convicted of placing explosives in
one Carrefour store and demanding 300,000 yuan (USD 45,630) on
June 19 last year, state run Xinhua news agency reported.
He was arrested the same day.
Yue in his extortion demand said that he had placed
explosive devices in three of the chain`s stores in Kunming,
which led to the emergency evacuations of customers and staff.
The sentence was handed at the Panlong District Court
in Kunming, capital of Yunnan Province.
Realising the gravity of the situation, Yue called
Carrefour later in the day to abort the extortion bid.
Although the extortion was abandoned, Yue`s behavior
had a huge social impact and caused much disruption, and he
deserved imprisonment, the court ruled.
A spokesman for the law office said the sentence was
"a little heavier than expected" and they would talk with Yue
about an appeal to a higher court.
The same outlet suffered another bomb hoax on January
8, when a man claimed he placed bombs there and asked for
No explosives were found in the outlet and police
arrested the suspect later that day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday