Bomb hoax call disrupts Toronto Stock Exchange
Toronto: A bomb hoax on Wednesday led to the evacuation of the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), which is the biggest energy market in the world.
The stock exchange was evacuated for a couple of hours when police searched for bombs or explosive material.
Situated bang in the heart of downtown Toronto, TSX is the third largest exchange in North America and the biggest energy market in the world.
Exchange spokesperson Carolyn Quick said their switchboard got the threat call at 12.30 pm. She said they informed police who were at the scene immediately.
Over 300 employees from three floors of the Exchange Tower were evacuated as cops searched for explosives.
After two hours of search, police found nothing and called off the search.
Toronto police said its officers found "absolutely no evidence of any type of explosive".
Normal trading resumed after the search.
The stock exchange was also on the target of the Toronto-18 terror plotters who wanted to blow it up along with the Canadian spy agency`s office here.
The plot, which involved 18 al Qaeda-inspired young Muslims, mostly from Pakistan, was unearthed in June 2006.
Canada is on the hit list of the al Qaeda because of its involvement in the Afghan mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery