Bomb hoax call disrupts Toronto Stock Exchange
Toronto: A bomb hoax on Wednesday led to the evacuation of the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), which is the biggest energy market in the world.
The stock exchange was evacuated for a couple of hours when police searched for bombs or explosive material.
Situated bang in the heart of downtown Toronto, TSX is the third largest exchange in North America and the biggest energy market in the world.
Exchange spokesperson Carolyn Quick said their switchboard got the threat call at 12.30 pm. She said they informed police who were at the scene immediately.
Over 300 employees from three floors of the Exchange Tower were evacuated as cops searched for explosives.
After two hours of search, police found nothing and called off the search.
Toronto police said its officers found "absolutely no evidence of any type of explosive".
Normal trading resumed after the search.
The stock exchange was also on the target of the Toronto-18 terror plotters who wanted to blow it up along with the Canadian spy agency`s office here.
The plot, which involved 18 al Qaeda-inspired young Muslims, mostly from Pakistan, was unearthed in June 2006.
Canada is on the hit list of the al Qaeda because of its involvement in the Afghan mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing