Bomb hoax call disrupts Toronto Stock Exchange
Toronto: A bomb hoax on Wednesday led to the evacuation of the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), which is the biggest energy market in the world.
The stock exchange was evacuated for a couple of hours when police searched for bombs or explosive material.
Situated bang in the heart of downtown Toronto, TSX is the third largest exchange in North America and the biggest energy market in the world.
Exchange spokesperson Carolyn Quick said their switchboard got the threat call at 12.30 pm. She said they informed police who were at the scene immediately.
Over 300 employees from three floors of the Exchange Tower were evacuated as cops searched for explosives.
After two hours of search, police found nothing and called off the search.
Toronto police said its officers found "absolutely no evidence of any type of explosive".
Normal trading resumed after the search.
The stock exchange was also on the target of the Toronto-18 terror plotters who wanted to blow it up along with the Canadian spy agency`s office here.
The plot, which involved 18 al Qaeda-inspired young Muslims, mostly from Pakistan, was unearthed in June 2006.
Canada is on the hit list of the al Qaeda because of its involvement in the Afghan mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy