Bomb kills 6, wounds 71 in Colombia
Bogota: A bomb exploded outside a police station in the Pacific port city of Tumaco just as lunch hour ended on Wednesday, killing at six people and wounding 71, authorities said.
The bomb appeared to be a motorcycle packed with explosives, Tumaco security chief Hernando Cortes said.
Hernando Cortes, a city official, said the blast killed three police officers and three civilians. He said the 71 injured included 35 police officers.
General Rodolfo Palomino, the national police director of citizen security, blamed the leftist Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, for the attack, though Tumaco`s mayor, Victor Gallo, refrained from assigning blame.
President Juan Manuel Santos condemned the attack, calling it an "act of desperation”.
The southwestern port is one of Colombia`s most lawless cities, a cocaine-smuggling hub where leftist rebels, right-wing criminal bands and drug traffickers are all present.
The 1:58 pm blast occurred "in an area with a great abundance of population, as much for the hour as the geographical location”, Palomino said. It is the end of lunch hour in Colombia.
Tumaco is in Narino state, which borders Ecuador and is laced with dozens of rivers popular with drug traffickers, who include the FARC.
The most recent major FARC attack in the region occurred in October when 10 soldiers were killed in a mortar attack while on patrol in a rural part of Tumaco.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read