Bomb scare at Manila stock exchange a false alarm
Manila: Trading on the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE) was set to resume on Thursday afternoon after a police said no bomb had been found in a search of the 35-storey office tower housing the bourse following a bomb threat.
Workers were allowed to return to their offices in the Makati City building about two hours after being evacuated when a stock exchange employee received a bomb threat in a telephone call.
Trading would resume at 1 pm (1 am ET) for one hour, the PSE said. Normal trading hours are from 9:30 am to noon.
"We have cleared the tower and our teams are scouring the surroundings," said Jose Delos Santos, police chief for the southern district of metro Manila. "We would like to believe that it was a prank call but we take this as a serious matter."
The main stock index, which hit a record high of 4,253.75 on October 11, was up 1.3 percent at 4,245.61 when trade was halted. The index is up 39 percent this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics