Bomb scare at US embassy in Slovenia
Ljubljana: A 29-year-old man threw a backpack over the fence of the American embassy in the Slovenian capital city of Ljubljana, triggering a bomb scare, a news agency reported. The backpack later turned out to be safe.
The man was arrested by police. Officials cordoned off the area soon after the incident took place on Wednesday.
No harmful objects or substances were found in the backpack, which was later destroyed by police, the Ljubljana police administration said.
Preliminary investigations showed that the incident was "a case of a tasteless joke", the Slovenian Press Agency quoted Police Commissioner Janko Gorsek as saying.
The man who threw the backpack is suspected of suffering from a mental illness. He has been taken out of custody to be provided medical treatment, police said.
US embassies all over the world have been put on high alert after the killing of al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden in Pakistan.
Wednesday`s incident should "serve as a wake-up call that even in safe Slovenia, bad things could happen", the US embassy said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- BJP ally Shiv Sena accuses saffron party of spreading falsehood, rumours
- TCS to be levied above Rs 2 lakh only if payment in cash: CBDT
- Locals, tourists trying to make drug-peddling a business: Goa CM
- Watch: Panaji Mayor Surendra Furtado, 6 others fall in creek during a de-weeding drive
- Three brothers, including two juveniles, gang-rape minor girl