Bomb scare at US embassy in Slovenia
Ljubljana: A 29-year-old man threw a backpack over the fence of the American embassy in the Slovenian capital city of Ljubljana, triggering a bomb scare, a news agency reported. The backpack later turned out to be safe.
The man was arrested by police. Officials cordoned off the area soon after the incident took place on Wednesday.
No harmful objects or substances were found in the backpack, which was later destroyed by police, the Ljubljana police administration said.
Preliminary investigations showed that the incident was "a case of a tasteless joke", the Slovenian Press Agency quoted Police Commissioner Janko Gorsek as saying.
The man who threw the backpack is suspected of suffering from a mental illness. He has been taken out of custody to be provided medical treatment, police said.
US embassies all over the world have been put on high alert after the killing of al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden in Pakistan.
Wednesday`s incident should "serve as a wake-up call that even in safe Slovenia, bad things could happen", the US embassy said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers