Bomb scare prompts US university evacuation
Washington: A bomb threat at the Louisiana State University (LSU) Monday resulted in evacuation and cancellation of all campus activities for the day, Xinhua reported.
At about 2 p.m., LSU announced the cancellation of all campus activities for the remainder of the day, according to NOLA.com
The announcement asked thousands of LSU students and faculty and staff to stay away from the Baton Rouge campus until given specific instructions from the LSU Emergency Operations Centre for returning.
The school began evacuating the main campus after somebody called 911 (emergency number) at about 10.32 a.m. and reported about a bomb threat. The caller did not direct the threat to any specific area of the campus, according to school officials.
The university posted an alert on its website an hour later.
There are 30,000 students, professors and employees on the campus.
Classes were cancelled and cars streamed off campus, creating traffic jam around the university after the LSU Emergency Operations Centre ordered a full campus evacuation about 11.30 a.m.
LSU Police, supported by multiple law enforcement agencies, continued to investigate the bomb threat till last reported.
Campuses in Texas, North Dakota and Ohio were also evacuated last Friday after receiving bomb threats. No explosives were found on those campuses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Why are Antarctica ice-levels increasing? NASA has the answer!
- Buyout group to back rival's bid for Tata's UK steel assets - Sources
- French Open 2016: Angry Nick Kyrgios, Petra Kvitova pass chilly Roland Garros tests
- Working towards a technology which enables consumer to control electrical appliances at home sitting in office: TPDDL CEO Praveer Sinha
- Modi in Iran: PM promises big celebration of Guru Gobind Singh's birth anniversary