Bomb strikes Baghdad eatery, killing 8
Baghdad: Iraqi police say a car bomb has killed eight people and wounded 32 outside a restaurant in the southwestern Baghdad.
The blast on Monday evening could be heard across the Tigris River, several kilometres away.
Authorities said the explosion happened in the mixed Sunni-Shi’ite neighbourhood of Baiyaa. It came hours after the Iraqi wing of al Qaeda claimed responsibility for countrywide attacks on Sunday that killed 92 and left more than 350 injured.
The militant group warned in a statement of "black days" ahead. It was issued as the Sunni vice president rejected a death sentence against him for masterminding the murder of his rivals.
Medics at Yarmouk Hospital confirmed Monday’s casualties. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorised to release the information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Coal imports in July dip 11% to 18 MT
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet
- Toni Kroos rocket rescues Real Madrid in Cristiano Ronaldo's absence; Atletico Madrid held again