Bomb threat at Texas A&M Univ forces evacuation
Houston: Evacuation orders were issued at a US University after a bomb threat was received on the campus, a month after similar warnings created panic at three institutions.
Officials at Texas A&M University ordered all students, faculty and staff to evacuate the campus.
The `Code Maroon` was issued at 11:34 a m and officials asked everyone to evacuate campus by foot immediately.
"Do not use a vehicle. Classes have been cancelled," said a message.
Lt Allan Baron, Texas A&M police spokesman, said the threat was received via email and then the department was notified.
"We`re encouraging people to follow emergency.Tamu.Edu which we will be updating on a regular basis as more information becomes available," he said.
Rhonda Seaton, College Station police spokeswoman, said the department is assisting with traffic and helping to evacuate the campus.
She said they are asking everyone in the area to please leave the campus.
"I`ve been told traffic right now is just as bad as a game day," Seaton said.
Sophomore Romina Morgan said she was sitting outside eating with a friend when she got the Code Maroon text about 11:40 a m.
She said there was a lot of confusion among students as to where they were supposed to be evacuating to.
Texas A&M has more than 50,000 students, according to the school`s website.
Last month, telephoned bomb threats at the University of Texas at Austin, as well as ones made to campuses in North Dakota and Ohio prompted tens of thousands of people to evacuate. However, no bombs were found at any of those campuses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday