Bombings and a shooting kill 24 across Iraq
Baghdad: A new wave of bombings and a shooting in Iraq killed at least 24 civilians on Tuesday, as insurgents try to exploit the country`s political instability and undermine government efforts to maintain security.
The deadliest attack took place in the town of Youssifiyah just south of Baghdad, when gunmen stormed a house and shot dead two women and four men as they were ritually cleansing the body of a Sunni man ahead of his funeral, said police.
In the nearby town of Latifiyah, a bomb hidden inside a coffee shop killed four and wounded 14, a police officer said.
Youssifiyah and Latifiyah, 20 kilometers and 30 kilometers from the capital respectively, were known after the US-led invasion for sectarian violence and dubbed the Triangle of Death. Militants continue to stage attacks in the area, and last week gunmen killed 16 people in an attack on Shiite families in Latifiyah.
Near another former militant stronghold, the central Iraqi town of Baqouba, three car bombs targeting outdoor markets killed at least 10 civilians and wounded 34, a police officer said. Baqouba is 60 kilometers northeast of Baghdad.
In the capital, shortly before sunset, a bomb exploded near a soccer field in the southeastern Shiite-majority suburb of Nahrwan, killing three people and wounding 14 others, police said.
And in the northern city of Mosul, according to police, one person was killed when a sticky bomb attached to his car exploded.
Medical officials in nearby hospitals confirmed the figures. All officials provided details of the violence on condition of anonymity as they were not authorised to release information.
Also, authorities unexpectedly shut Mosul`s airport, but they gave differing accounts of why.
The head of the Iraqi Civil Aviation Authority, Nassir Bandar, said the shutdown was done for maintenance reasons. A senior intelligence official cited unspecified technical matters, while an airport official and said the move was for security reasons.
The latter two officials spoke anonymously as they were not authorised to discuss the matter publicly. Mosul, also a former insurgent stronghold, is about 360 kilometers northwest of Baghdad.
No one claimed immediate responsibility for the attacks. But coordinated car bombings and attacks on civilians and security forces are a favourite tactic of the Iraqi branch of al Qaeda. It typically does not lay claim to attacks for several days, if at all.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg