Bombings in Iraqi capital kill at least 19 people
Baghadad: A wave of explosions rocked Shiite neighborhoods in Baghdad shortly after sunset on Monday, killing at least 19 people and wounding dozens, officials said.
The attacks, two carried out by parked explosives-laden cars and one by a separate bomb, hit crowded commercial areas near Shiite mosques.
The deadliest took place in the eastern Ur neighborhood where a car bombing killed at least 10 people and wounded 23 others, police said.
Another car exploded in the central Karrada area, killing eight people and wounding 25 others, police added. And one civilian was killed and seven were wounded in another explosion in the southwestern Amil neighbourhood.
Two medical officials confirmed the causality figures. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to release information.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks, but they bear the hallmarks of Sunni extremist militants seeking to undermine confidence in Shiite-led government efforts to maintain security nationwide.
An al Qaeda breakaway group, known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, has been behind similar attacks in the past.
Iraq is experiencing a resurgence of violence to levels not seen since the worst of the country`s sectarian bloodletting began to subside in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place