Bombings, shootings around Iraq kill 22
Baghdad: Bombings and shootings around Iraq on Thursday killed 22 people and wounded more than 50, authorities said, as a spike in violence made June Iraq`s bloodiest month in almost a half a year.
The attacks in Shiite neighbourhoods and on security forces appeared mostly to be unrelated. They nonetheless underscore how deadly Iraq remains, even though violence has dropped dramatically since a few years ago when the country appeared about to descend into civil war. Over the last month, more than 200 Iraqis have been killed in attacks.
Today`s deadliest strike came around 9:30 am in the Shiite Muslim neighbourhood of Washash in western Baghdad, where eyewitnesses said a taxi exploded outside a local market. Eight people died and 26 were injured, police and hospital officials said.
Hadil Maytham and her two children were eating breakfast in their nearby house when they heard the explosion. "It shook the doors and the windows of the house," said Maytham, 28. "Then we heard shooting, probably by police who usually shoot randomly after explosions."
Bombings generally are a hallmark of Sunni Muslim insurgents linked to al-Qaida, and Shiites remain one of their main targets. Earlier today, a roadside bomb in a Shiite neighbourhood in southern Baghdad exploded as a police patrol was passing by, killing one person and wounding six.
Two more attacks on Shiite enclaves in northwest Baghdad wounded five more people, police said.
And in Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province 115 kilometres west of Baghdad, another car bomb wounded seven people in the parking lot of the provincial council. The largely Sunni province`s deputy governor Dhari Arkan said the explosion early in the morning was designed to shake confidence in the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers