Bombings targeting Shiites kill 19 in Iraq
Baghdad: A suicide attacker and a car bombing killed at least 19 people and wounded 38 in separate attacks today targeting Shiites north of Baghdad.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks, the latest in an increasing wave of violence across the country.
Iraq has been facing its deadliest outburst of violence since 2008, with more than 2,000 people killed since the start of April.
The bloodshed appears to be largely the work of resurgent Sunni militants such as al Qaeda`s Iraq branch, feeding off Sunni discontent with the Shiite-led government.
The deadliest attack today took place in Baghdad`s Kiraiyat neighborhood as worshippers gathered after the evening call to prayers at the Hussienieh Ali Basha mosque.
A suicide bomber walked in during the service and detonated his explosives, killing 15 worshippers and wounding 32, a police officer and a medical official said.
Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to talk to the media.
Earlier today, an explosives-laden vehicle detonated near a Shiite protest camp in the city of Samarra, a police officer said, speaking on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to release information to the media.
The head of the Salahuddin provincial health directorate, Raed Ibrahim, later confirmed the casualty figures in the attack in Samarra, 95 kilomettes north of Baghdad.
Since December, Iraq`s Sunni minority has been staging demonstrations over what it calls second-class treatment by the Shiite-led government. In some place clashes have erupted between security forces and protesters.
Violence increased sharply in April and May, with frequent bombings in civilian areas raising concerns that a widespread sectarian conflict could once again break out in Iraq.
The bloodshed accelerated after a deadly April 23 crackdown by security forces on a Sunni anti-government protest in the northern town of Hawija in which 23 people were killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Aditi and Mohit Malik’s Indonesian vacation will give you honeymoon goals
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today