Bombs, ambush kill nine people in Iraq
Baghdad: Militants at a fake checkpoint shot three truck drivers dead on Tuesday in an ambush, and bombings killed six people, as the deadliest violence in years plagues Iraq.
Gunmen killed the three drivers early today at their checkpoint on a road in central Iraq. The gunmen stopped the trucks in a remote area in Diyala province and then executed the drivers, a security official said.
Deadly attacks have been on the rise, reaching levels not seen since 2008. The surge in bloodshed, following months of protests by the country`s Sunni Arab minority against the Shi`ite-led government, is raising fears that Iraq is heading for another bout of uncontrollable sectarian violence.
In the volatile city of Mosul, police said a bomb struck a military convoy, killing three soldiers and two officers. Also in Mosul, a policeman was killed when a roadside bomb hit his convoy. The city is 360 kilometres northwest of Baghdad.
No one claimed responsibility for the attacks, but security forces are a favourite target for Sunni insurgents.
Medical officials confirmed the death toll from the attacks. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorised to talk to reporters.
Today`s renewed violence came a day after a string of deadly attacks in several Iraqi cities, including Mosul, killed at least 63 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India