Bombs kill 21, underlining Iraq chaos
Baghdad: A double bombing struck at an upscale neighbourhood Iraq`s capital on Tuesday, killing at least 21 even though police stopped three attackers storming a counter-terror unit, as the government strained to control al Qaeda-based chaos gripping the country.
The bloody explosions came on the same day that Iraq`s government discussed security issues with Iran, a measure of Tehran`s growing influence.
Two cars parked in the mostly-Shiite shopping district of Karradah exploded during the afternoon rush hour. Most of the dead were store owners and passers-by, although the blasts hit near two police headquarters and a security checkpoint, killing six policemen.
The bombs sent plumes of black smoke over the neighbourhood, located across the Tigris River from the Green Zone, and the sounds of gunshots could be heard from blocks away.
The violence brought the July death toll to 245 people killed in shootings and bombings, approaching the carnage in January, when 255 people were killed following the US pullout.
Al Qaeda has claimed responsibility for nearly all the attacks as it seeks to take advantage of political instability in Iraq and move back into areas it was forced to abandon before the US military left the country last December.
Security forces and government offices are top targets for insurgents seeking to prove how unsafe Iraq remains.
The second bomb exploded outside an Iraqi passport office, a few blocks away from the Interior Ministry`s major crimes unit headquarters. Fifteen people were killed and 35 wounded, officials said.
Saadoun Hussein was selling cigarettes in a small shop nearby when the roof partially caved in from the second blast. He escaped unharmed.
"I think that terrorists were intending to attack the passport directorate, but failed to reach their target because of the traffic jam," said Hussein, 23.
Police said two suicide bombers and a gunman broke into the crimes unit, which also handles counterterror cases, but they were killed before they could unleash widespread damage.
The Interior Ministry said in a statement that the three aimed to free terror suspects who were being held there. It said three security force members were killed in a shootout. Authorities had control of the situation by Tuesday evening, said Col Dhia al-Wakil, spokesman for the operations command in Baghdad.
Five minutes earlier, the first bomb went off outside a restaurant at a busy intersection, down the street from a police station and a security checkpoint. Six people were killed and 21 wounded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!