Bombs on Iraq town squares kill 8
Baghdad: Attacks killed eight people in town squares in Iraq on Friday, including seven who died when a suicide bomber dressed in army uniform set off his car rigged with explosives just before midday prayers.
The latest violence, which also left dozens wounded, comes as Iraq struggles with a surge in violence coinciding with a long-running government deadlock and months of protests among the Sunni Arab minority.
The deadliest of the attacks struck Samarra, a predominantly Sunni town north of Baghdad, when a suicide bomber detonated a car bomb near Al-Haq square, a focal point for anti-government protesters for months.
The attack took place just before Friday prayers near the Al-Razzaq mosque, killing seven people and wounding nine others, police and medics said.
The bomber wore an army uniform, police said.
In the predominantly Shiite town of Kut, south of Baghdad, a bomb set off in Al-Amil square at around 10:00 am (0700 GMT) killed one person and wounded 17 others.
Two militants also died in the northern town of Hawijah when the bomb they were trying to plant unexpectedly went off, officials said.
Iraq has seen a surge in violence since the start of the year, with the UN reporting more than 2,500 people killed from April through June, the highest such level since 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble